Warner Bros. Pictures. It is the fourth installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). The film is directed by Patty Jenkins, with a screenplay by Allan Heinberg, from a story by Heinberg, Zack Snyder, and Jason Fuchs, and stars Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, Danny Huston, David Thewlis, Connie Nielsen, and Elena Anaya. Wonder Woman is the second live action theatrical film featuring the titular character, following her debut in 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Jenkins’s role as director makes her the first female director of a live-action, theatrically released comic book superhero film. The film tells the story of Princess Diana, who grows up on the Amazon island of Themyscira. After American pilot Steve Trevor crashes offshore of the island and is rescued by her, he tells the Amazons about the ongoing World War. Diana then leaves her home in order to end the conflict.
1. This is the first film in Gal Gadot’s acting career in which she received top billing.
2. Wonder Woman/Diana is of Scythian nationality in the comics. Gal Gadot, who plays her, was born in Israel and is of Jewish European descent.
3. This film is banned in Lebanon because its star, Gal Gadot, is an Israeli citizen and Lebanon is officially at war with Israel. Like the authorities in Tunisia and Qatar who banned the film, the official “explanation” for it being banned in Lebanon was that Gadot had expressed positive views of her country (and the IDF) along with negative views of the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas, implying that if Gadot was an anti-Zionist they would not have banned the movie at all.
4. The first DCEU movie with 90+% Rating on Rotten Tomatoes (equivalent to critical acclaim).
5. Parallels Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) in several ways: -Both films take place during a World War -Both films are chronologically first in their respective film universes -Both films serve as the final film before the first big “team” film in their respective universes (Marvel’s The Avengers (2012) and DC’s Justice League (2017)) -A German military officer with enhanced powers is a major antagonist in both films -A character named “Steve” played by an actor named Chris seemingly dies in a plane crash/explosion in the climax of both films (“Steve Trevor” in this film and “Steve Rogers” aka Captain America himself).